Software Engineer - Mexico
The Change.org Foundation is looking for a Software Engineer in Latinamerica to strengthen our global product development team and support our country teams with creative, rapid-response solutions.
The Change.org Foundation empowers millions of people to use technology to build social movements and create transformational change. With staff teams in 10 countries, 95 million users, a growing base of user-generated revenue, and thousands of campaign victories every year, our model is a proven engine for social change and citizen leadership, with incredible potential to grow.
We’re growing quickly, and our users win campaigns for change once every hour. From strengthening hate crime legislation in South Africa; fighting corruption in Indonesia, Italy, and Brazil; to fighting violence against women in India.
Today, we have 10 offices around the world working to enable local changes. As we grow and expand our operations, we continue to look for ways to support each country team’s specific, local needs. For example, the exciting challenge of finding ways to connect and engage with our supporters in regions where e-mail is not commonly used.
As a Software Engineer, you will be part of a close-knit feature team. You’ll collaborate with our product team but also with our country teams to build an incredible product with strong technical challenges while knowing that your impact will be helping to make the world a better place. You will also use your experience and skills to facilitate knowledge sharing and cultivate expertise and best practices within and beyond the engineering department.
A Software Engineer at the Change.org Foundation is someone who can manage their own time effectively and complete their tasks with minimal supervision. They consistently finish tactical sub-tasks within the scope of a larger project. These sub-tasks are often defined and refined by others (lead, manager etc). The ideal candidate will have around 3 years of relevant engineering experience as well as a strong desire to learn new technologies and expand their skill set.
This is a full time position based in Mexico. Exceptionally, we will consider candidates in other Central or South American countries.
Key responsibilities and outcomes:
- Support on-demand requests from Foundation country teams
- Feature delivery - work with different technologies, languages and frameworks in all layers of the web stack, from front-end to back-end to infrastructure as code
- Work with country teams to build and maintain custom, local payment solutions
- Ensure availability and reliability of our services in production
- Work in an agile development environment (Kanban, iterative development, short release cycles)
- Drive best engineering practices
- Contribute to vision & long-term strategy of team
- Code, Test, Review, Deploy!
- 3 years of relevant engineer experience
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal in English are a must
- Desire to learn, grow and expand skill set
- Can manage own time effectively
- Able to complete well-defined, familiar tasks without constant guidance
- Able to collaborate productively across time zone differences
- Full stack: able to work at all layers of the webstack, from frontend to backend to database including React, Node.JS, Ruby/Rails, Elixir, PHP
- Experience with WordPress (or other CMS)
- Experience with Agile methodologies and fast development cycles
Nice to haves, experience with:
- Working with payment gateways
- AWS or other Cloud Infrastructure
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know:
This is a full time position based in Mexico. Exceptionally, we will consider candidates in other Central or South American countries. You will be working remotely as part of our global product team, with colleagues around the world. Candidate must be a self starter, committed to our mission and excited to join an ambitious, fast-paced and collaborative work environment. Our team is high impact, low ego, and has an amazing culture to be part of.
We are accepting applications until Aug 21, 2020.
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. We’re actively working to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team.
Change.org is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.
We’re working for a world where no one is powerless, and where creating change is a part of everyday life. We’re just getting started and hope you’ll join us.